Are you feeling lazy; mentally exhausted; worn out; stressed and sleepy every time, since long? This may not be due to simple tiredness. You might be suffering from ‘Chronic Fatigue Syndrome’.CFS is the term that signifies medical condition caused by constant fatigue.
Causes: The exact causes of CFS are still unknown.It may be a mix of factors that affect people who are born with a susceptibility to various physical disorders.
Viral Infections: Some people had developed CFS after a viral infection. However it has not been proven that this condition is due to CFS alone.
Problems in Immune system: Some of the patients who suffered from CFS are sometimes found to be slightly impaired.However it has not been proven that this condition is due to CFS alone.
Hormonal Imbalances: People suffering from CFS sometimes experience abnormality in hormone levels. However it has not been proven that this condition is due to CFS alone.
Symptoms that indicate CFS
- Concentration loss
- Sore throat
- Enlarged lymph nodes in armpits or neck
- Inexplicable muscle pain
- Multiple joint pain without any visible symptoms
- Headache varying in pattern and severity.
- Tiresome sleep
- Extreme exhaustion after physical or mental workouts
- Increase in heartbeats.
Medical Help – Tests | Diagnosis | Doctors
Health checks and tests: Some health checks and tests
- Blood Sugar PP and fasting or Diabetes tests
- HbA1c – Average blood sugar level
- Thyroid (T3, T4, TSH)
- High Blood Pressure
- Lipid Profile and Cholesterol Levels
- Liver Function and Kidney Related Tests
- Bone density tests
- Vitamin and other related tests
- Other regular and advanced health checks ups
- Tests for infections and Immunity
- Nuero and brain related tests may also be required
- Cardiac checks , problems related to heart can also create fatigue
It is also important to consult specialist doctors and make necessary changes in life style as per advice. Do only consult appropriate dietitians in hospitals.
- Age : CFS mostly effects people in their 40s and 50s.
- Gender : Women are found to be diagnosed with CFS than men.
- Stress : Crisis in stress management may cause
Whether it’s CFS or not? No single test can confirm that it’s CFS, as the symptoms are little confusing and overlapping at times.
Presently there is no definite set of treatment for CFS. It is more of symptom based. Medical intervention clubbed with therapies like counseling, gentle exercises, yoga, acupuncture can bring some relief.
Can change in lifestyle restrict CFS? Self-care always help if it is done correct. Avoid pill popping and self medication. Do take advice of qualified doctors, dieticians and fitness experts only.
Reduce stress: Plan the daily schedule. Practice of holistic healings like yoga, meditation along with some physical exercises help. Do consume diet that helps balance nutrition, fights stress and fatigue.
Make it a habit: Avoid afternoon naps and go to sleep early at night; same time every day. Set a clock.
Healthy Diet: Cut of alcohol consumption. Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet chart. Consult a dietitian. It is important to have balanced diet of vitamins, proteins, minerals and other nutrition required. Also avoid refrigerated food, aerated drinks, smoking, ready to eat packaged food.
Health Awareness Tips by Desun Hospital and Heart Institute