Desun Today : May 2018 - HYPERTENSION
Have you ever encountered any of these symptoms?
- Severe headache
- Vision problems
- Chest pain
- Difficulty in breathing
- Irregular heartbeat
- Blood in the urine
- Pounding in your chest, neck or ears
What we generally do if we experience any of these symptoms?
Pop some pain killers, splash some water on our face or blame others for giving us undesired TENSION and as an outcome, we get HYPER. What we never perceive is that both the terms ‘HYPER’ and ‘TENSION’ have already started affecting our body internally.
Now the first question is, what is the root cause of Hypertension?
- Excess intake of salt with our daily meal is one prime cause of Hypertension. Excessive levels of salt (or Sodium intake of more than 1,500 milligrams per day) can lead to High Blood Pressure, Diabetes and Cardiovascular Diseases regardless of one’s age, current health condition or medical health history.
- If we maintain a poor diet, smoke or drink excessively or our diet is rich in sugary and fatty foods, the risk of developing High Blood Pressure increases.
- People who have Sleep Apnea, have oxygen level deficit in the cells of their body which result into High Blood Pressure and Cardiovascular Diseases.
- Due to Obesity, not only our body weight increases but the thickening of the arteries also leads to High Blood Pressure.
- With ever increasing addiction to the Internet, we all have lost interest in playing any sport in real life or doing exercises which in turn makes our body more prone to Hypertension.
- Certain Hormonal Imbalances or conditions put pressure on our body and results in Hypertension.
- One primary cause for Hypertension is Kidney Disease (Renal Hyper).
Only knowing the origin won’t help us keep Hypertension away, but preventive measures needs to be taken as well. Such as:?
- Maintaining the right weight
- Eating a balanced diet
- Cutting down on salt intake
- Regular exercise
- Quitting alcohol and smoking
- Monitoring blood pressure on a regular basis
- Eating less fat rich foods
If one decides to befriend Hypertension, then he must know its effects too:
- Heart Attack: Heart Attacks are often associated with uncontrolled hypertension.
- Stroke: Due to Hypertension, the blood flow to our brain is compromised via arteries which can lead to Stroke.
- Heart Failure: Due to Hypertension, the arteries become harder and narrower which makes it difficult for the heart to pump blood through the arteries. Overstressing the heart can affect the cardiac muscles and as a result can lead to heart failure.
- Atherosclerosis: Atherosclerosis is a condition that shows up when there is constant high blood pressure. It causes hardening of our arteries which can cause blockages and dangerous diseases such as Coronary Artery Disease.
- Kidney Diseases: With prolonged Hypertension, the blood flow to the kidney is hampered which interrupts the regular functioning of the Kidney and can lead to strong renal system deterioration.
- Eye Diseases: Continuous irregular blood flow to any organ can cause tissue damage & so is the case with the Retina. It has been observed that people with prolonged Hypertension slowly develops blurry vision, inflammation of the eye and loss of clarity in vision.